Monday, July 11, 2011

Combination Knitting

Knitters!
In doing an internet search for something totally different, the link below came up in the search.  Out of curiosity I went to the site and found to my surprise some great information along with videos and some different techniques that I have not seen since I was a child and my parents lived in Malta! The site is www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch and is a great site to bookmark.

As many knitters know there are options when it comes to casting on stitches, the way the stitches are knitted or purled and the multitude of combinations of ways to create pretty patterns and designs but what many knitters may not be aware of is that different countries and cultures also have knitting techniques that are not written in any book and are passed down from one generation to another. 

While you may not be a book author, if you come from a generation of knitters in your family and you learn a special tip or knitting construction, write it down.  Keep yourself a knitting diary...you will be glad you did some day. 

As an adult, I regret not having enough knowledge as a child (I learned to knit at the early age of 5) to write down some of the things that the elders in Malta taught me. 

As a child I was fortunate to be able to travel to some very unusual places (and no my father was not military..I was an oilfield brat) but one of my favorite places to visit was Malta because during the summer months and also on good weather days, the elder ladies of the neighborhood would all gather on the front porches of each others homes and knit or crochet or make wooden spindle lace.  The children would play in the street, cars did not drive like they were at the Indie 500 and we were encouraged to learn to knit or crochet with the elders.  The ladies of Malta are still famous for their handmade lace and it all started with neighborhood gatherings.

No comments:

Post a Comment